Virtuális Időutazás

Castle of Simontornya

N 46.752849 E 18.552464

In the more than 700 years history of the Castle of Simontornya the whole history of the country is displayed. The castle was built between the marshes of the Sió in the end of the 13rd century, a few decades after the Mongol invasion. It was owned by the most famous families of the country (Lackfi, Kanizsai, Garay), in the 16th century it was reconstructed to a renaissance castle and the beys lived also here for 150 years during the Turkish invasion. Surprisingly, the golden age from the military point of view drops to the Kuruc time, when the castle has become the most significant Transdanubian Kuruc base. The Styrum Limburgs, the foreign holders of the castle, permanently moved out in  1764, after that it catched up with the "normal" fate of the castles. It was used for granary, warehouse and also as a house in necessity. The scientific research of the castle began in 1960 and there's a museum in it since 1975.


Virtuális Időutazás

Castle of Simontornya

Virtuális Időutazás

Dominican monastery (Pécs)

Virtuális Időutazás

Lussonium - Military camp

Virtuális Időutazás

Abbey of Szekszárd